Records Services


The Police Department's Records Division houses and keeps secure all crime and traffic reports generated by Cortez Police Officers. Whenever a citizen needs a police report from an incident that the Cortez Police have handled, that report can be obtained from the Records Division. Whenever a police report is released to a citizen, a pecuniary gain form must be filled out and signed. This is required by Colorado Revised Statue 24-74-305.5.

The Records Division is open to the public from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (mountain standard time). There is a fee for copies of reports. Criminal Justice Records Fee Schedule.

Applicant Fingerprinting

The Cortez Police Department no longer provides services for applicant fingerprinting. Per CBI policy, physical cards will no longer be accepted or processed by CBI. You may contact the Montezuma County Sheriff's Office, as they are still fingerprinting for the time being. They schedule them for Thursdays from 0730-1600. (970) 565-8452. You may also visit the CBI website for further information. 

Criminal Court Ordered Fingerprints are still available and we provide that service Tuesdays between 1:00-3:00 PM.

Sex Offender Registration

Sex Offender Registration is provided at the police department. You will be required to have your fingerprints and photo taken. The fee for this service is $20.

VIN Verifications/Certified VIN Inspections

VIN Verification

  • Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. at the Cortez Police Department
  • Cost - Free
  • Contact: Cortez Police Department
  • Phone: 970-565-8441
  • Address: 608 N. Park Street, Cortez, CO 81321

Certified VIN Inspection

  • Once a month on scheduled dates
  • Cost - $20.00
  • Contact: Renda Wright for appointment at (970) 564-4031

Questions regarding VIN Verifications or Certified VIN Inspections contact Renda Wright at (970) 564-4031 or email.

Bicycle Registration

Bicycles can be registered at the police department, Monday through Friday. Please complete the Bicycle Registration Form and bring to the Records Division for registration.