City of Cortez
Holidays:The following are recognized as official holidays;
- New Year’s Day, January 1
- President’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day, July 4
- Labor Day, First Monday in September
- Veterans Day, November 11
- Thanksgiving Day, Fourth Thursday in November
- Day after Thanksgiving Day
- Last half day prior to Christmas
- Christmas Day, December 25
- Last half day prior to New Year’s Day
Health insurance: The City pays for employee coverage. For dependent coverage, the City pays 90% of the premium and the employee pays 10%.
Dental Insurance: The City pays for employee and dependent coverage.
Life Insurance: The City pays for coverage up to 50% of employee’s annual salary or $10,000, whichever is greater.
Employee Assistance Program: The City provides a counseling program for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
Vacation: Annual leave is granted at the following rate;
- One through five years * 160 hours/year 80 hours/year
- Six through ten years * 176 hours/year 96 hours/year
- Eleven through fifteen years * 200 hours/year 120 hours/year
- Sixteen years plus * 240 hours/year 160 hours/year
* Patrol Officers, Sergeants, Communication Technicians
Sick Leave: Accumulated at the rate of eight (8) hours per month.
Retirement: The City pays 5% and the employee pays 5% of the employee’s salary into a supplemental retirement plan.
Deferred Compensation: Voluntary contributions may be made to a retirement plan prior to taxes being withheld.
Funeral Leave: Twenty-four hours per year is granted in the event of a death in the family. No accumulation.
- Pension Plan: The City pays 5% and the employee pays 5% of the employee’s salary into a supplemental retirement plan.
- Police Retirement: In lieu of Social Security, the employee contributes 8% of their wages to the ICMA Retirement Corporation and the City matches the 8%.
- Other benefits are clothing allowance and payment for training.