The Planning and Zoning Division is dedicated to guiding the development of the City of Cortez. It is our intent to ensure that essential services are provided for continued and sustainable development to meet the future needs of growth by future generations. You can contact the Planning Division at (970) 565-7320.
The primary day-to-day functions of the division include the review of public and private development projects and development of short- and long-range planning goals, development review, and inspection of projects. The division administers the Comprehensive Plan and the Land Use Code, develops area and topical plans, performs policy analysis, generates data reports, and performs program administration (sign regulations, housing, historic preservation, design review, etc.).
The Planning and Zoning division works closely with the utility companies, special districts and other citizen groups to incorporate thoughts and ideas into a seamless pattern of development, expansion, and sustainability.
Planning and usage documents:
Planning and Zoning brochures:
- Minimum Requirements for Minor Subdivisions
- Minimum Requirements for Filing Preliminary and Final Plats
- Preliminary Plat Checklist
- Final Plat Checklist
- Planned Unit Development Districts
- Minimum Requirements for Child Care Facilities
- Home Occupations: Application & Conditions for Compliance
- Home Occupation Application Only
- Minimum Requirements for Replats and Plat Amendments
- Filing of Applications for Public Hearings
- Requirements for Public Hearing Notification
- Conditional Use Permits
- Parking Requirements
- Requirements for Site Plan Reviews
We want your project to be as successful as possible and will work to help avoid potential problems that could cost you time and money. The City has adopted and is enforcing the following Codes:
- 2009 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2009 International Energy Code (IEC)
- 2009 International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
- 2009 International Fire Code (IFC)
- 2009 International Residential Code (IRC)
- 2009 International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC)
- 2009 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
- 2009 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- 2009 International Plumbing Code (IPC)
- Land Use Code, As Amended through December 2009
The following permit application forms are used by the Planning and Zoning Division for review of any projects proposed to be done within the City limits. Hopefully, they will help you plan your project. These forms are provided for your convenience; however, each one will require the review and approval of the Planning and Zoning Division PRIOR TO THE START OF ANY CONSTRUCTION.
Note: Some applications are marked as "sample forms". These are only examples for your information. Original forms must be picked up at the City Service Center. Please call the Planning and Building Department at 970.565.7320 for more information.