The Police Department's Records Division houses and keeps secure all crime and traffic reports generated by Cortez Police Officers. Whenever a citizen needs a police report from an incident that the Cortez Police have handled, that report can be obtained from the Records Division. Whenever a police report is released to a citizen, a pecuniary gain form must be filled out and signed. This is required by Colorado Revised Statue 24-74-305.5.
The Records Division is open to the public from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Fridays (mountain standard time). There is a fee for copies of reports. Criminal Justice Records Fee Schedule.
Per CBI policy, as of December 1, 2018, physical fingerprint cards will no longer be accepted or processed by the CBI. All physical cards received by CBI on or after this date will be returned to the applicant, and they will be instructed to complete the cardscan process detailed below.
- The applicant will visit the IdentoGo enrollment/scheduling website or contact their toll-free call center at (844) 539-5539, provide their Service Code to complete pre-enrollment and schedule an appointment.
- The IdentoGo website or a customer service representative will provide the applicant with the directions to the enrollment center, notification of specific photo ID requirements, and an email confirmation summarizing all appointment specifics.
- During the enrollment appointment at the IdentoGo Enrollment Center, an enrollment technician will perform ID verification, fingerprint, photo, and signature capture, in compliance with CBI and FBI requirements.
- All fees—including the $39.50 CBI/FBI processing fee and the IdentoGo enrollment fee of $10.00—will be collected by the enrollment agent from the applicant via credit/debit or money order/business check. The fingerprint account number specific to your company (beginning in COVCP), as well as the correct service code, must be provided to the enrollment agent to ensure proper billing.
- Applicants will be provided a system generated receipt including transaction details as well as a link to the IdentoGo website to check the status of the fingerprints. Applicants will also be able to check status by contacting their call center and providing the transactions details located on the receipt.
Sex Offender Registration
Sex Offender Registration is provided at the police department. You will be required to have your fingerprints and photo taken. The fee for this service is $20.
VIN Verifications/Certified VIN Inspections
- Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. at the Cortez Police Department
- Cost - Free
- Contact: Cortez Police Department
- Phone: 970-565-8441
- Address: 608 N. Park Street, Cortez, CO 81321
Certified VIN Inspection
- Once a month on scheduled dates
- Cost - $20.00
- Contact: Renda Wright for appointment at (970) 564-4031
Questions regarding VIN Verifications or Certified VIN Inspections contact Renda Wright at (970) 564-4031 or email.
Bicycles can be registered at the police department, Monday through Friday. Please complete the Bicycle Registration Form and bring to the Records Division for registration.